View Single Post
Old 04-29-22, 07:45 AM
darnet

Bikes: 4 Raleigh's (1 International, 3 Super Course), 2 Miyata (610, Alumicross), one each Bianchi Eros, Fuji Cross Pro, Lotus Excelle, Paramount Series 7 Carbon,Specialized Sirrus Comp, Trek something mountain bike, Univega Super Strada, Wheeler Tremosinep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
The lugs are Bocama, and look like some variant of the Model 18 but with Type II sockets for the top and down tubes. The French LOVED the Huret Allvit derailleur ensemble, and I am told that if they aren't bent and are properly lubricated they work very well. The French (and some Swiss builders) LOVED using shims, and in a way, it makes sense. You're much less likely to have a frozen seatpost! I've had numerous French bikes with shims, and have seen them on several Allegros.

This looks like a fun project, and rivals my rustbucket '89 LeTour that I need to get back to work on ....
Thanks! I've never taken apart or ridden a French bike, so I'm noticing some things that are odd to me. The rear derailleur was assembled with machine screws making it dis-assemble-able, handy for cleaning, and both derailleurs actually do work (move) fine now. Don't know yet how they'll function when reinstalled on the bike. I agree with the exclamation point re the frozen seatpost. I still have healing flesh burns from dissolving a frozen aluminum seatpost in a steel frame using lye. Don't always try the tips from YouTube.