View Single Post
Old 05-01-22, 05:05 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
I would NEVER be able to resist a green TdF in my size like that! And while I’m used to the Simplex hanger on mine, your dropouts would be better suited for my use - my TdF is my favorite beater fixed-gear, and a 60 cm to top Mel Pinto/foil decal era TdF is pure magic on the road!
I've been wanting to build a French bike in my size for a long time, it didn't take but a feather to send over the edge.

Ok my new bike feel is over!!!! Again French bikes!! if I didn't enjoy this stuff boy I be just stuffed. I slapped the wheels on the rear pops in ruff, then I realized the narrow 6 freewheel interferes with the chainstay. That's ok for now I can mount the wheel I just can not spin the freewheel, the teeth straddling the very end of the chainstay. The wheel sets ok, centered at the brake bridge, good I can just swap the 5sp. I go to put the front wheel, it's out of center, shoot. Not evident at the quick glance, appears to need more than side to side, front to back, but better than I thought. What do I mean? I took another look at the frame and the head tube is not inline with the seattube. That out a good solid 1/8", just crap I really wanted this to be an easy build, no...

Of of course I have trouble with the driveside bb cup, it the 8 point 37mm for which I do not have a wrench for. I have an old adjustable, it just glances a hold. I may have a 12 point socket that will fit, probably not, my first set of tools gave no fruit.

I did remove the rest of the bb and with my straight edge clamped to the cup showed the seattube parallels the cup face, nice. I swing the edge to the downtube, nice that's good. Only the toptube is wonkers. Sure it's not lined up, this is very manageable. I can make this work, or that's the running joke I tell myself.