View Single Post
Old 05-12-22, 08:11 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 261 Posts
So another 10 miles on the Nishiki Prestige, only this time my daughter came along to keep me company. First stop was Barker Park:

Then over to Lomond View Nursery to say “Hey planty, what do you want to do today?” (Lego Movie reference):

and one more stop at Shady Lane park on Shorty’s Lane (should have named it shady lane or Shorty’s Park, I guess):

then back home to the smell of a fresh baked carrot cake my lovely wife was baking for her mother’s birthday (no pics of that, unfortunately).
Added a ratty water bottle cage from my box o parts; my local collective charges $1 for them so that's what I'll charge myself...

Mileage total: 19
Money total: $74.46 + $1 = $75.46

A few observations:

Road bikes are very efficient, even ratty old ones. I ride this loop regularly on my commuter hybrid, a 700c wheeled Trek 7300, and I didn’t feel like I worked anywhere near as hard on the Nishiki as I regularly do on the 7300. I’ve not spent many miles on a drop bar road bike, and am quite surprised at how fast this feels! Maybe I’ve been wrong about skinny tired roadies all this time?

The BB needs attention. It is just loose enough to make noise when you drop the front wheel from an inch or so. This weekend…

The seat clamp seems to be loosening up, causing the seat to rock a little. Have to look into that.

The drop bars weren’t as painful today. Good thing I still have 40 more miles to get accustomed to it…

Down tube shifters… what a trip!

Ultimately, I am enjoying the experience the clunker challenge is providing, and that’s the most important part, right?

Last edited by Smokinapankake; 05-13-22 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Added new $ total
Likes For Smokinapankake: