View Single Post
Old 05-17-22, 03:43 AM
darnet

Bikes: 4 Raleigh's (1 International, 3 Super Course), 2 Miyata (610, Alumicross), one each Bianchi Eros, Fuji Cross Pro, Lotus Excelle, Paramount Series 7 Carbon,Specialized Sirrus Comp, Trek something mountain bike, Univega Super Strada, Wheeler Tremosinep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
Green Mirage update

Really old French bike blues:

I’ve been remiss in posting, but I have ridden the Green Mirage a total of 4 times for 41.2 kilometers, all of which were actually shakedown rides. Recall that on the inaugural ride the rear derailleur got stuck once and was balky always, and the steering was hard left. After that ride, I noticed the rim was not centered in the fork. I reversed the wheel, yikes, it was still off-center, on the same side. Uh-oh. With the same wheel mounted in another fork it was centered nicely. Sick of the whole thing, (but not too surprised given the bikes history) I decided to switch out the fork rather than fiddle with it. I’ll have to add a few $$. Upon removal, measured on a flat surface the Mirage fork was about ½” bent.

My replacement fork came from an old Takara (27” wheels); the Takara was my “office park road bike” about 10 years ago, bought from a co-worker for $30. I liked that the front fork had forged dropouts, so I held on to it. It was a taller frame so steerer tube is taller (good for me). I hacksawed an aluminum pipe into a sleeve to cover the extra height, because 1) didn’t like the extra threads showing and 2) otherwise the lock nut would bottom on the top of the steerer tube. I had to sandpaper the Mirage’s handlebar stem so it would fit into the Takara fork. But I later was reminded that solving one problem sometimes leads to another.

new stem shifters and taller front fork with spacer

As far as the shifting problems, I looked at the rear derailleur, and the shift cable had frayed on the end entering the derailleur, causing binding, so I removed, trimmed, and reinstalled.

Second time out the steering was great, this might be the best hands-free rider in my fleet. However, the shifting was still cranky, kept wanting to jump to other gears.

Third trip was on a hilly route, the shifting was worse, and the chain kept slipping on the freewheel. Found three problems (one of which goes back to the front fork).

1) Both pulleys on the derailleur were binding badly. I love how the huret derailleur comes apart, and that goes all the way to the pulleys, even to the tiny bearing balls. Cleaned them up, reassembled and good to go. Put the derailleur back on.

2) Went on Thingiverse and found a design for a chain stretch tool, which I printed. Measured the chain and it was stretched. Need to supply a different chain.

3) Last but not least, I’ve never before ridden a bike with stem shifters, but I finally realized that the stem shifter cables were too tight, from being higher on the tall steerer/handlebar stem. So much so that turning the handlebar in effect was pulling on the derailleur cables. Now I have to replace the cables to make longer. But I have no more of the old Huret-style cables. I have plenty of the normal shift cables, and some old stem shifters, so they got swapped out. Not Huret, but stem shifters still, not an upgrade but a few more bucks.

Fourth ride, almost there, some annoyances remain. Bike steers fine, shifts okay except it tends to go straight from the largest (5th) cog to the middle (3rd) cog of the 5-cog rear cluster. I have to really finesse it to get it on the 4th. Also, get a knock, one-per-crank revolution, drive side I think. I’m thinking it’s the bottom bracket shaft where I blended the bearing surface. I will also check the cotters, since I’ve ridden it a few miles since assembly.

Next post I'll be ready to do the cost round-up.