Old 08-08-22, 09:32 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,911 Times in 6,100 Posts
I make myself as visible as possible, with flashing lights front and rear, and a radar unit to inform me of vehicles approaching from the rear. I ride at a consistent, small but safe distance from the edge of the road, and I signal to drivers behind me wishing to pass if there's oncoming traffic. As others have stated above, it is the responsibility of the overtaking driver to pass me only when it is safe to do so. It is not my responsibility to ensure they do that, but if I can see or hear something coming that the driver won't, I'll often hold out a hand to signal them to wait, and then wave them through when the road is clear.

MOST drivers will then speed up a lot to make the pass as quickly as possible, swinging halfway into the oncoming lane to pass. The ones that drive me nuts are the ones who swing all the way over into the other lane when sightlines are limited, and then barely speed up. Oh, and the ones who pass me on blind curves.

The idea that it's not ethical to ride on the road, because drivers might do something stupid and get themselves into an accident is nonsense. They bear complete responsibility for their own safety.

Fortunately, my experience riding over 25 years around here is that the vast majority of drivers are courteous and responsible around cyclists. But the ones who aren't are often much more memorable.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: