hankj
Still trying

Bikes: Cutthroat, ti hardtail, town ebike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
It's just interesting to see that, statistically, you're rolling unluckier dice when riding in a city with intersections and driveways, or even by yourself for that matter (of course, you're less likely to die from a right-hook or dooring than a full speed rear end, but the latter is far less common)
Yeah it's the die thing. I've been hit probably 5 or 6 times in the city. I've lived in cities mostly for 40 year and cycle in them all the time. In the city I can minimize the potential of death or life changing injury through my choices and behaviors. I ride in the safest corridors and am not remotely above riding on the sidewalk if I decide to go somewhere sketchy. But yeah, if you ride in the city year in year, out your almost certainly going to collide with a car now and again. Last time was a month ago, mail truck turned right in front of me and ran me into a parked car's mirror. But not bad.

Angeles Crest highway though. I rode that road all the time when I live in Pasadena and L.A. Hate it. Yes fewer cars, but so much more potential to die or be in a wheelchair if you do catch the wrong driver. In fact everyone I know directly or through friends who's been seriously f-ed up riding a bike has either got it mountain biking (the winner by a lot) or on a narrower highway.

I do take your point that it's all dangerous to some degree. People die in the city in Seattle on bikes, nearly all of them not experienced cyclists making a bad choice at the wrong time. The serious highway accidents I know and hear about though are often experienced cyclist who nevertheless got clipped by an incompetent, f-up, or a psycho on a narrow shoulder road. Maybe you are right that it's an illusion but in town I feel like I have some control, on a narrow highway every roaring behind me might be the grim reaper
​​
Likes For hankj: