View Single Post
Old 11-09-22, 08:51 AM
dmwill

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Steel Classic, 1993 Burley Samba Mixte tandem, 2002 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 2003 Co-Motion Speedster tandem, 2021 Trek Verve 3, 2021 Priority Current

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxy357
Yes, I would leave the first bike chained up to the blue fencing you see there at the station ... I am trying to get a truly "clean commute" and encourage and connect with colleagues who do the same. Yes, it takes twice as long as driving but I can see my CO2 emissions saved on a calculator online and it's a good feeling.
Do you ask for special accommodations at work to adjust your hours for the bike commute? I'm nervous as I've only been in my position for six months but would like to take the earlier train home so as not to have 10.5 hour days (only 3 days a week due to a hybrid work schedule). If I work from the train, I think it's probably a good argument...
I'd worry that the bike locked to the blue fence overnight would be quickly stolen.
Good for you on the "clean commute" goal! It is a good feeling, and maybe you will be the catalyst to get others around you to try it too, each one being one less car on the road.
Work accommodations will certainly vary by workplace. My wife has started bicycle commuting and her workplace adjusted by letting her bring her bike into the office since there are no bike parking facilities on the property. They already had flexible hours so she can come in earlier and leave earlier at her preference to match the sunlight.
I really like my folding bike for getting on and off the buses around here (we have no trains) and it rides just as well as a full size hybrid bike.