Old 05-20-23, 06:30 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4474 Post(s)
Liked 4,947 Times in 3,058 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
This will sound controversial going against convention, however what is the point of "racing" if one does not have a chance of riding at the front? I raced for 10 years on the road and 5 years off-road, then dabbled in TT for another 5 years when it dawned on me that I was chasing something that I did not understand. In the last TT I did it came to my mind half way through that this whole racing thing is pointless unless I can actually win, which I couldn't and never did except the very first race I entered.
From that point forward riding has been about the joy of the motion, yakking it up with a buddy as we roll the road, or saving a ton of money commuting to work and running errands. No longer do I chase my ego from one event to the next or compare my times with everyone around me as if they knew me and gave a crap about my times or anyone else's times. Just their times are important to them.
If one cannot win, why do it? To be the fastest middle-packer? Not to finish last? Seriously? Pathetic. One races to win. Period.
I mostly agree. But you can still race yourself and/or your peer group. I enter events with a view to beating my own PRs and competing against my friends at a similar level. There are faster guys outside of my little bubble, but that doesn’t bother me as long as I’m doing my best and enjoying the ride. I entered the L’Etape du Tour last year and finished somewhere in the top 5000. But it was an epic ride, I finished 2nd in our group and nobody really gives a crap who actually won it overall anyway! I don’t bother with local crit races and TTs for much the same reasons you stated. Crits are not worth the danger to be an also-ran and TTs are not worth the mindless effort unless you can win and even then nobody will care.