View Single Post
Old 12-13-23, 08:09 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Turn 60 in February and I scaled back to a more reasonable ride for me.
I have not been up to Mount Baldy Village and beyond in a few years so an out-and-back would be about 60+ miles and 6K+ feet of climb.
That is enough for me to handle. This is all weather permitting of course but it would be fantastic to take some snow pics.
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Be cautious, and use lights front and back. That tunnel scares me, in both directions. Those SoCal drivers drive quite fast.
Originally Posted by Biker395
I think with 60+ miles of distance, that would be taking GMR/GRR to Baldy Village and back, so the traffic shouldn't be too bad, and no tunnels.

I was in the same boat recently, but had a few miles more to go my age.

If you want to make about that distance without making that climb to the ski lifts, try starting at Encanto, take 39 the junction, then Camp Williams to the East Fork climb, to GRR and to the Village. Like so:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/45150860
Originally Posted by big john
The tunnel is on Mt Baldy road which sucks going up or down. Taking GMR/GRR avoids the tunnel and is a much quieter route.
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Thanks. I'm partial to the harder Mt. Baldy Road for the challenge (and the shorter distance makes hill repeats more practical), but the comments on pjammcycling say the road is in poor shape.
Why not Go EAST young man and enjoy wonderful weather, NO tunnels, great rest stops, SAG support riding Six Gap or Three Gap ---
p.s. - rode this 3 years straight with 1st time 8 years ago at 65yo and living in Flat Land SW FL where 100 miles has 80' elevation change.

https://6gap.com/the-rides/six-gap-century/