Old 02-19-13, 09:11 AM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by john0
I'm wondering if the range of a Shimano Tourney 14t-34t cassette/freewheel -- with a single chainring -- can be expanded. Are there bigger cogs than 34t (and derailleurs that can shift to them)? Sheldon Brown describes something complicated about special hubs being needed for 11t cogs. Does that apply also to 12t and 13t? I notice that Shimano's own 7-speed 11-34 cassette and freewheel were discontinued. Is there something inherently problematic about this configuration?
I recently started down that path to build up a loaded mountain capable tourer based on the SRAM 11-36T 10spd cogset. However found that I couldn't find a cost effective 10spd crankset, resulting in a total bill that was too large. I ended up going 9spd using a 11-34T SRAM cogset, a FSA MegaEXO 9spd triple crank, and NASHBAR front and rear derailleurs to bring it home. The cogset was pricey at $58, but upon examination I fully agree that its a good deal for the money (very high quality, well lightened, clocklike precision, but I would have preferred a closer stepped 14-34T and coasting down hills). The FSA crank is a beautiful piece at $89 including BB, vice the retail mark of $249. The strength and quality seems very evident. I did order a 24T granny gear ($15) in case the standard 30T inside ring wasn't low enough [;o) I will have to experiment with actually being able to shift it...