View Single Post
Old 12-28-20, 10:20 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I'm a geezer. But the only reason I don't have electronic shifting and hydraulic disc brakes is that between the wife and I we have 8 bikes with mechanical shifting, rim brakes and extra wheels that we're happy with and give us what we need. 8, 9 and 10 speed, 4 road, 2 mountain and 2 "gravel" (cross frames we set up at least 10 years ago for what is now known as gravel riding). I might switch my wife over to hydro disks before myself just because she might benefit because of hand strength issues. I might switch to electronic shifting sooner rather than later because my arthritic elbows are sensitive to the motion needed for mechanical road bike shifting, Shimano worse than Sram.

I would actually look forward to learning how to install and maintain these modern systems. We might take the plunge to new "real" gravel bikes and since they might be the last bikes we buy (HA!) and might give us wider tire options than the limitation of the rim brakes we have now (V and canti), I think I'd try electronic shifting, because do I want to die before I try it? Of course not.

But so many bikes we're very happy with and so many wheels! That's a lot of inertia!

By the way, I like it when the neighborhood kids make lots kid noise and invade my yard! I also pay them to mow grass and shovel snow!