Thread: Biking pants
View Single Post
Old 03-29-22, 10:28 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I use basically the same system as staehpj - I carry non-chamois tights and REI zip off pants. The pants are mainly for camp.... bike shorts and tights (non-lined) are good down into the high 30's. The shorts part of the zip-offs are handy to have for a bit of modesty.... they can be slipped them on when going into a restaurant or store. If the zip-off pants (or same pants as a non-zip-off) are used, the legs will need a wrap around them.

Originally Posted by staehpj1
I have made the choice to go with tights (no chamois) rather than leg warmers after having used both. I find that I can ride in truly bitter conditions with them if I put my windshell over them. I don't recall ever actually needing the shell for warmth on tour unless it was pretty chilly with wind and rain though. The tights are generally enough for me for pretty cold weather if it is dry. I do have several weights of tights and take ones that suit the trip. The silky light weight ones are usualy fine, The ones that are a little "brushed and slightly fuzzy inside are surprizingly warmer. I have some heavy ones that are windproof in the front and thinner and not windproof in the back. They are great for brutally cold riding, but I don't plan on touring in sub zero weather or at worst a dip to there over night in some extreme unexpected case. So those are unlikely to ever go on a tour and will never be used here in Florida.

Tights are a little more of a pain to take on or off than leg warmers, but I cope. If I figure they will be on all day I wear them under the shorts if not I wear them over. If they have ankle zips you can get them off without taking shoes off, but most don't. Taking shoes off one at a time as you slip out of each leg isn't a big deal though. If you find it to be then maybe you will like leg warmers better.

I do have some zip off leg pants that I sometimes take and wear in camp. They were a cheap brand and thin nylon with a cotton like feel. They had a built in mesh brief when new, but it wore out eventually and I cut it out. They were one of the house brands at Bass Pro (world wide sportsman I think). I liked them a lot because they were really cheap, really comfortable, and really light. Last time I looked I didn't find the exact model and one that I did find were as nice. The more expensive brands or models of the same brand were not only more expensive, but a lot heavier and no more comfortable. Still some model of zip off leg pants is an option. I guess some without the zip off option might be okay if you don't zip them off much any way. Otherwise I sometimes wear tights whether alone or under short running shorts in camp or other off bike times.

Running shorts with a built in mesh brief are great for getting out of bike shorts and "airing out" I typically sleep in them and wear them most of the time when I am out of bike clothes. They are a few ounces (my Nike Dri Fit are 3.9 ounces) and a must have item for me.

When I am going light, which for me is most of the time these days, I use some "wind pants" that I treated with DWR treatment that are 3.5 ounces as a wind shell, and as rain pants, and as my only other long pants other than the tights. A few more ounces would allow real coated nylon rain pants to be taken.