View Single Post
Old 03-30-22, 08:12 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Yep I advise being open to doing that. Also to adjusting gear just because you decide you could have made a better choice.

Many riders mail stuff home, often more than once on a long tour, just because they find they overpacked. Our group of three did so 3 or 4 times on the Trans America (our first tour). Some of it was just little stuff, but it all adds up. We made it a point to take an inventory of what we were carrying and found that a lot of stuff wasn't used. That deck of cards weighs very little, but when you are half way across the country and haven't touched it... So it is what 2 ounces maybe? Why bother? Because you make dozens or scores of packing decisions and they all add up The pounds are made up of little choices and many of them are littles stuff like that deck of cards. Maybe the deck of cards is something that you'd just throw away, but you get the idea. We actually did mail it home since it was essentially free to throw it in the flat rate box with the other stuff. Remember we were 3 newbies and had enough to fill a medium size flat rate box stuffed pretty full.
Lighter is always better for me. My backpacking base weight is 7.5lbs to 9 lbs. I am sure my cross country bike and all gear are under 40 pounds and closer to 35 lbs total including bike (no water or food).