View Single Post
Old 06-29-20, 10:52 AM
MLux

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surly LHT Touring Bike Size Help!

Hey bike gurus, enthusiasts, racers, and party pacers alike. Would love the collective bike forum gods' advice on a bike size and situation that I've been agonizing over for way too long.

Two main questions with lots of context below:
1) Is my 46cm Surly LHT too small for me? Would 50cm be more appropriate, or even larger??
2) If you feel so inclined... What size touring bike would you recommend in other popular touring bikes that won't completely break the bank? (Thinking Trek520 and Fuji Touring but very open to suggestions)

Context below:
I recently snagged a used Surly Long Haul Trucker (46cm) & am hoping to do some multi day tours. However, I'm fairly certain the bike is too small for me, particularly for the more relaxed, French fit, upright, touring position I'm looking for. I think I'm looking for 0 or even slightly negative drop? (Open to other thoughts) I've gone to two LBS. One told me and I quote "you look way too compact on that thing. It's too small." and the other "I like this bike for you. I think you can make it work. (with a stem riser and adjustable stem to start, to figure out height/angle)" So, I'm incredibly torn. All research and measurements I've done say it "should" fit based on my size. Though I'm right on the upper edge of the size bracket. But my gut feel when I'm on it says it's too small. However, I can't bear to give it up yet without some other opinions. Details about my size and the bike itself are below.

My Measurements:
Total Height- 63.5 in (5ft 3 in)
Actual Inseam- 30.35 In
Trunk- 22.24 In
Forearm- 10.5 In
Arm- 24.125 In
Thigh- 22 In
Lower Leg-19 In
Sternal Notch-50 In

Other Bikes I ride comfortably, yet more aggressively with some handlebar drop:
Specialized Ruby Expert- 48cm frame- 517mm top tube (horizontal)- 700.7mm standover height
Van Nicholas Custom Performance Road Bike -45cm frame - 524mm top tube (horizontal)- 715cm standover height
[Compare to the Surly LHT: 46cm frame - 515 mm top tube (horizontal) -723.2 standover height]

Bike Details:
a) Surly LHT, 46cm- every thing stock EXCEPT stem and handlebars. Stem looks to be about 50 mm (vs original 70mm) with a very aggressively upright stem angle compared to the original stem angle(photo attached). The handlebars themselves are slightly less wide than the originals. 4 spacers already sitting below the stem. Even with this, my saddle is still a few cm above the tops of the bars.
b) When I ride out of the saddle, I feel I'm way too far forward, like I have to stand upright to stay balanced. Cannot lean on the hoods as they're too close to me when standing. My knees are also capable of hitting the bar end shifters when standing. Wondering if this could be remedied with the original handlebar BUT seems that would create an even more aggressive drop (longer stem at less steep stem angle).

If you've stuck with me this long, thank you Would love to hear some thoughts from the forum!!

Back to my main two questions:
1) Is my 46cm Surly LHT too small for me? Would 50cm be more appropriate, or even larger??
2) If you feel so inclined... What size touring bike would you recommend in other popular touring bikes that won't completely break the bank? (Thinking Trek520 and Fuji Touring but very open to suggestions)