View Single Post
Old 10-05-20, 07:23 AM
Dewey101

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Sports; 2017 Breezer Downtown 8 ST converted to ebike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
My wife has had back surgery and needs a more upright riding position. I added a Sunlite Cromo quill extender to her '73 Raleigh Sports that goes about 4" down inside the steering tube, and tightened it down using a 6mm allen wrench with a crowbar inserted so I could use both hands to tighten the wedge bolt. I inserted the handlebar and hand-tightened the top wedge bolt. But now while the handlebar is tight inside the the extender, it is the extender itself that is moving. When I straddle the wheel and apply gentle pressure to either side of the handlebar, the extender is clamped hard enough to the inside of the steering tube the headset itself is turning, you can see on the photo below the headlamp bracket out of alignment. Unfortunately the movement is loose enough to make the bike unrideable.

Does anyone have advice if it's possible to stop the movement of the headset, or if I replaced the stem extender and handlebar with a longer replacement quill stem like one of these, or if I need to raise the extender higher up the steering tube, if any of these solutions would work to stop the headset movement?

Last edited by Dewey101; 10-05-20 at 07:33 AM.