View Single Post
Old 08-14-22, 04:08 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
This. If you're creative, you can find a way to put together a long mileage ride without ever getting far from home. I have a 30 mile loop I can ride that has my house, my office, and my gym at various points on the loop. There is a hospital in the middle. Also plenty of roads inside the loop for variability. At no time on the loop am I longer than 5 miles from any of those stopping points.
Sometime between the end of this month and October, I'll be attempting a self supported 1/2 IM distance tri on this loop. Park my car at the gym and do the swim in the gym pool. Then use the gym/parking lot/car as the transition area. My wife will be a SAG if needed. With some planning and creativity, you can do distance close to home.

During the pandemic year, there was a woman on my street that ran a 50 miler doing various 1 and 2 mile loops in the neighborhood. She used her house as a SAG. Had a table set up and her family kept it stocked. It can be done. I was doing yard work. She'd keep coming by throughout the day. Had 3-4 different pacers. I'd give her some cowbell when she came past.