Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
well for starters how about car companies and appliance companies. There are many of both. Follow that up with lawn care and many others. Some do it for decades. It’s been standard practice in all the semiconductor companies I’ve worked for where they would close a factory but before they did they made enough parts based on current run rates to last 12-18 months. So yeah, it is quite common. Usually it’s seamless and consumers never even know - kinda like you.

and specifically, I’m taking about the Syzr pedals which were their current offering. Not the X that has already been largely replaced with Zeros. Yeah, someone that bought their product one day before this would be pissed - and with good reason.

and here is another bet - this is the position you take until just that moment it happens to you.
Cars have a lifespan of more than few years (hopefully) so no dice - I was specifically excluding those. Appliances are hit and miss at best, and often miss in EOL situations (especially after five years).

The position I take is one I take after understanding the situation (particularly from the standpoint of software and wanting to stop supporting things like IE7 that clients still cry for). Even your semiconductor example is 12-18 months, not five freaking years like you asked for. And not in a takeover situation.

It's happened to me. Don't project your immaturity onto me.

However, this whole thing is you throwing a tantrum in a teapot, so carry on. I won't bother trying to dissuade you anymore. Rage on.