Old 11-18-20, 09:15 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Goodness, I hope that you're being facetious.
I'm actually not. Generally speaking, "aftermarket" suppliers are allowed to make replacement parts for most things. Fram makes oil filters and air filters for Ford engines, for example, even new Ford engines which have new filter shapes and designs. Napa makes brake pads for cars with brand new Ford caliper shapes and pad thicknesses. QWP makes new body parts new Ford models that have only been on the market for 1-2 years. Ford does not litigate them out of business for making "replacement parts that fit Ford vehicles", so long as they do NOT claim to be selling "Ford OEM (branded) parts".

Speedplay on the other hand litigated (or threatened litigation which is many ways is even worse) to prevent people from selling replacement parts that would fit speedplay pedals, even parts that are clearly not covered by any patents, such as a standard bleeping ball bearings.

And I ONLY use Speedplay light action pedals on my road bikes. I like the product.

But as a business, they were bully idiots who created us VS them relationships with customers and with distributor/dealers.

Last edited by nycphotography; 11-18-20 at 01:20 PM.
Likes For nycphotography: