View Single Post
Old 06-11-10, 03:02 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Fir
BTW, Clubman or anyone, when encountering an old CCM with no documentation, can anyone tell how to discern whether he has a one or two speed hub when he is feeling too poorly to be ridden? I read someplace that some of them had a hub that you kick backwards to shift. How you'd do that without engaging the rear wheel decelleration and tail-spin system was not described.
When we were kids, Schwinn made a bicycle with a two speed coaster brake rear hub. To the best of my recollection, the hub was by Bendix. What visually differentiated the two speed coaster brake hub from the single speed Bendix coaster brake hub were several red bands painted on the two-speed. It is my recollection that there were grooves/indentations in the two-speed which were painted, but I never examined one sufficiently close to tell. On the net, there are some pictures of two-speed Bendix hubs with the bands painted yellow, but I remember red.

The way that the hub worked was by a very slight backwards torque. Too slight to engage the coaster brake, almost unnoticeable, but it would shift between the two gearings. I never owned one of these bicycles as they were way too expensive for us, but I did ride several owned by wealthier friends and my recollection is that they worked very, very well. My guess is that the two gears were low, and direct -- sort of like the two lower speeds on an AW hub. But that's a guess.

Probably, in addition to the colored bands there will be some sort of marking either on the hub itself or the coaster brake frame bracket which will identify the hub, though that's a guess too.

Last edited by desconhecido; 06-11-10 at 03:05 PM. Reason: fix typos, of course