View Single Post
Old 04-18-22, 05:23 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by N2deep
I’m, A young 70ish Fred, that need to improve my stamina and speed this year and believe that I need a new training regimen. Last year I rode three times a week, 25/30 miles/2 hrs. each ride. I ride several organized rides each year and struggle a little with the +65 milers and bonk out on the 100 milers.

I plan to cut the duration of each training ride to an hour, ride 6 days a week rather than the 3 day and to add more intensity to the daily rides. I believe this would improve my overall fitness.

Your opinions, experience and recommendations appreciated.
I am almost your age but not quite and do ride more than 100 milers many times per year.

Your failure is not having one long ride per week. That long ride should get up to 60-70 miles to be able to easily handle a 100 miler. I'd ride 4-5 times per week AND have one long ride. Increase that long ride 10% per week. In 2 months you should be at that 60-70 mile level. Intensity is not well tolerated by us older riders but paradoxically is most needed. So, you also need about an hour total in a week riding hard.
Likes For GhostRider62: