Old 12-20-19, 01:26 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by JSushi
Heyo,

I've got 700x32 gravel kings with fenders on mine. It's also an 84 620. It was a pretty significant battle, and mine is nothing at all like stock but they clear with no issues now that I've got them on. If anyone's interested in seeing it I can get some photos but yeah, np!
Good info. - I like Gravel Kings - have them on another bike. Post some pics once you have 10 posts. I'm leaning toward no fenders on this bike while using 35mm +- tires. I have a 1985 620 that I am going to build using fenders - currently just a frame and a box of parts.

My '84 620 is a work in progress. I've had a chance to ride it with the Salsa Cowchipper bars and the indexed 9 speed Microshift bar-end/RD set-up shown in the photos below. I really like the comfortable geometry and the indexed bar ends - definitely a Cadillac ride. The Cowchippers are a nice compromise between road bars and full-on trail drop bars - wide with some flare but not extreme. (The pipe insulation is just so I can test-ride the bike before final taping.)

I replaced the middle 45T chain with a TA 39T ring - very nice quality and it fit very precisely. The original 47-45-28 half-step wasn't cutting it. A 39T ring with a 9 speed 11-32 allows me to stay on the 39T ring most of the time.

I plan on getting a new 700c wheel set now that I've been able to test the fit of the original Dia Compe canti brakes with a set of 700c wheels from another bike. I've seen some reasonably-priced silver H Plus Son wheels that are attractive. Christmas is coming!

I also have a set of vintage upgrade canti's - with spring and up/down pad adjustment - that I am going to substitute for the Dia Compes.

I may also spring for a better-looking stem - maybe the Velo Orange offering that takes 31.8mm bars and has a removable face clamp.

I also bought a RD alignment tool ($28) - the indexing wasn't quite right. I adjusted the alignment using the tool and the indexing is good now.

Last edited by jlaw; 12-20-19 at 01:31 PM.