Old 12-21-19, 01:00 PM
simmonsgc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
What size/speed cassette are you running? Looks like you've got some good low gears.

Nothing special..it's just a Shimano 12-32 as I recall. Low gear is 28/32 with the granny on the Sugino AT crank. I live in the mountains, and this is enough since I don't use this bike for fully loaded touring. Mostly day trips.

Which rims? I have enjoyed building a few wheels in the past, but there are some really good deals to be had (H Plus Son, DT Swiss) that are a little cheaper than me buying the parts and assembling.

Those are Mavic Open Pros on Ultegra hubs, 700c.

And, what front rack is that? I assume that the mid-fork mount location is the same on my 620 as compared to yours.

It's VO Randonneur front rack, but you shouldn't take anything on this bike as a model, rack-wise. The 618 had no mounts on the fork. These were added after the bike was media blasted, and before the pewter powder coat. There was a bit of mis-communication about the the type and placement, and you'll notice if you look closely, I cut the original arms off the rack, made new ones, and tigged them on to fit the added mounts. The arms are solid as opposed to tubular like the rest of the rack. And, ahem...you'll see I tried to finish my welds more nicely than the VO ones.

Last edited by simmonsgc; 12-21-19 at 06:02 PM.