Old 03-28-23, 09:53 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Here's a photo shared by a County Supervisor.

It will be interesting to see how "hard" the closure will be; that looks plenty passable for bikes (remember what Carquinez Scenic Drive looked like for so many years?), but I suspect the Powers That Be will not agree. I do hope that the rains Tuesday and Wednesday don't make this worse.

No doubt that, if and when repairs happen, the road will be closed for several months. With the amount of traffic Wildcat Canyon gets, I don't see how they can get by with the "one way both ways" solution that's been in place on Pinehurst and Old Tunnel for some years now, especially since those slide-outs took out less than an entire lane. And maybe this time, the road will be repaved with smooth asphalt instead of chip seal. Hey, a guy can dream . . . .
It's not a problem, if they want to keep it open. Unmanned, one way traffic lights can be installed on either end of the slide, even around blind corners to control traffic without having people to control it. These have been used in many places with one-lane washouts, including BCR and during the Canyon Rd bridge replacement. Unfortunately, they may not be able to do this considering the washout extends slightly into both lanes, and they would need to install K-rails along the edge of it. Not sure there is enough room for that, or if the County would prefer to simply keep it closed. As the road doesn't directly serve any houses, I don't see an urgent need to keep it open. Having said that, like many of these other slides, I don't see any reason why a bicyclist or two couldn't poach the road early on a weekend day, even if it might be inconvenient to go around fencing.