View Single Post
Old 10-28-21, 08:41 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I've got one triple, two doubles and one 1x.

My triple (3x7) has the the highest and lowest gearing of my bikes and there's always a "right gear".

My doubles (2x6 and 2x8) have a large front cog for higher gearing and a much smaller cog for much lower gearing. While the wide ratio spread is nice, I sometimes can't find the "right gear".

This year I bought a 1x7 20" folding bike. I bought a very wide gear set for the back (11x48). The eleven was absolutely necessary for the hills out here in Colorado. The other six gears are more closely spaced, so I usually have a "right gear" for hi-speed to mid speed cruising. But going up hills, there is a big gap between the Granny gear and the next lowest gear.

Based on my personal experience, I think I would be happy with a 1x13, 1x12, or possibly even a 1x11 if there was a wide enough spread of ratios, with some closeness of the highest two or three ratios, and some closeness of the lowest two or three ratios.

What I thing would be really great is a wide-ratio CVT (Continuouslky Variable Transmission), like the NuVinci, but with equal or higher mechanical efficiency than current conventional bicycle transmissions, and equal or lower weight.