Old 09-21-21, 05:51 PM
bheinemann

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Long Distance Touring on Gravel Bike vs. Endurance Bike?

Hi all,
I've been reading up a ton on this, but still a little unsure of what to do. I'm interested in getting (one) new bike to use as a long-distance bikepacking (read: using hotels not campsites) bike. Specifically, I am planning to ride from the Canadian border down the PNW coast to the Mexican border next summer.

Where I've landed is the middle ground that is a Specialized Roubaix Comp vs. a Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon. It seems to me that the Diverge is a little more versatile, even if the bulk of long rides like this will be on pavement. I've looked at other offerings but these seem like the two that fit best. They are the same price, and obviously the Diverge has wider tire clearance while the Roubaix is more of a "performance race bike" that can also take bumpy roads and such.

Any opinions out there from someone who has self-supported on such a trip? I won't be packing heavily, but it will be a three-week trip or so and I'll have to put a frame pack, seat post pack, and handlebar pack probably at the least. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!