Old 10-06-21, 09:15 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by Krov9
Excuse me, where do you FIND stuff like that? Not at the dump I suppose?
In all honesty, just about everything I post is purchased from Bikeworks.org in Seattle, a nonprofit of donated items. Bikeworks is a very wonderful organization that promotes healthy living with bike rejuvenation. They have full time paid staff, they also have a lot of volunteers that assist customers with mechanics, lead classes, group rides, and youth programs.

Bikeworks is very unique in that they get volumes of donations in the form of local bike drives, tons from the city, and many many locals that just want, or hope the old stuff can be used. Over there I'm know for buying many items that are considered well past prime, next dump run stuff. They get so much product that they can't always take time to identify. Pricing can be wonky in that time and shop space work against each other. Most French bikes were being trashed, they never work on those. Makes sense not enough return and not consistent to today's stuff.

I always promote Bikeworks, they are also interesting in that they have a shop much like any other used/new shop, and the warehouse where the real Box of Crapstuff resides.

Here are three very typical resent purchases. The crusty Jack Taylor, a Univega Gran Rally, and the Serotta Colorado.

The Univega is a run of the mill purchase, I buy similar refresh and sell. I take that money and buy greater items like the Serotta.

Bikeworks gets so many unique items that l have taken myself to task for repaints. The Taylor above will get a repaint next spring. The Raleigh Team bike did get repaint, it still has a minor issue to be addressed before final assembly.

I had to some arm twisting to save the PR10 from the dump, it was at the bottom of the to go pile. It was asked, which one do you want? Of course the answer was, the moldy one at the bottom.
Likes For Mr. 66: