View Single Post
Old 06-17-22, 08:39 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
Garmin Varia Alerts

I just started using a Garmin VariaRTL515. It works surprisingly well. But I very quickly found an issue. On a route I do frequently, I'm on a length of frontage road. It has little traffic, but is exactly where I would like to use the Varia to detect traffic coming from behind. But this frontage road parallels an interstate highway. The RADAR picks up much of the traffic on the interstate. I get why this happens and it's probably all but impossible to discriminate which traffic is a possible threat. At least with a relatively simple RADAR unit. But at a minimum I would like to be able to quickly and easily disable the audio alerts.

While I'm all but certain this ability doesn't exist, I'm asking here just in case I missed something.

Also, I read an old thread where someone claimed to have developed a Garmin app to allow for this, but Garmin wouldn't approve it for distribution. Which I get, ass covering and all that. I've actually done some Garmin development of data fields, just for my own use. So, I'm generally familiar with Garmin development. If anyone has any ideas how I might change the sensor settings, or intercept and handle the alert event, or just shut off all sounds programmatically, that would be helpful.

I just want a way to quiet the thing down when there are too many alerts to be useful. And obviously, trying to burrow into the sensor settings and turn the alerts on and off while riding is not a practical solution.