Old 06-24-22, 09:33 AM
glye

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by CEBEP
Thanks glye
If you haooen to use rear panniers on your rear rack would you suggest where did you secure it’s bottom part to, the fender support rod?
I don't use rear panniers. I guess it might be possible to secure them with velcro to the fender support, but given the suspension movement you would quickly wear the paint off the support. You could wrap the support in black duct tape to avoid that.

Here's my Birdy with the biggest touring load I use: Front handlebar bag (klickfix), small front lowrider panniers, and rear rack top bag (klickfix). This bag has side pockets that can fold outwards and down to give more volume, as they are in this picture. They are so short that they don't need support.

In this setup the front panniers will wear the paint off the front side supports due to front suspension movement. To avoid that I put headshrink tubing on them. Duct tape should also work. Personally I don't worry about the look of scraped off paint on racks, but it can go so far that it becomes a structural problem. I have a big bike where the rack supports are no longer round, but have flat sides worn into them from years of pannier rubbing. And that's not even a suspension frame. Eventually that will cause failure, if not stopped.

Likes For glye: