Old 04-29-23, 11:10 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
(Portland and surrounding towns/counties likewise don't always use common sense. Every time I ride into town I ride a bikelane that bends left with the arterial as the road continues straight as a local access. Off-camber and usually debris strewn as I am crossing the cars at their stoplight; turning as I do so. Well, 15 years ago, the town or county painted the bikelane over just that stretch in slippery when wet blue paint. 10 years later, they ground off that paint leaving an extremely rough surface, now partially painted in the better green. But so rough I have my hands full in a mini cyclocross as I deal with cars on three sides. They paid how much to go out of their way to make my rides miserable? Nothing would be radically better.)
Portland is unique.

They had marked a bunch of bike paths marked with diamonds. Then decided that the diamonds were non-standard marks. So, they ground off all the diamonds and put in funky bike images.

It would have been much easier to simply add the bike images and let the diamonds eventually wear off.

Anyway, every 100 yards, a big rough patch.

Don't they have a better way to remove old paint?

I used to ride on Beaverton Hillsdale HWY a bit. They had nice bike lanes on the east end, but nothing on the west end. So, they've done a big project to upgrade the bike path on the East end where they already had a path, but I fear still nothing on the west end.

I almost had a wreck at Beaverton Hillsdale and Bertha. Sitting in the car, it looks like the right lane is a turn only lane. However, it is only 99% of the vehicles that have a turn only, and 1% go straight through. Anyway, I almost got smashed by a city bus.