Old 04-30-23, 11:31 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
okay, both!?

how do you make the bike lane level with BOTH the road and the sidewalk and relatively flat in cross section? bonus points for drawing a section of such a right of way configuration that doesn't require raising the elevation of the entire roadway by several inches.

like i said, not everyone is a civil engineer - and clearly not anyone commenting on this thread.

how do you make the bike lane level with BOTH the road and the sidewalk and relatively flat in cross section? With poured concrete, you simply "level" it with a board running from sidewalk to the road surface. Yes, it is not carpenter's level level but how cares? (I watched the contractoor do this on my driveway after he cut out the high ridge my car couldn't clear and did a lower pour. That was just about the width of this path. Now I realize that doing so eliminates all camber and drainage, a point I would have expected from you, the pro.. I don't argue with the approach taken here (assuming there is still enough slope for proper drainage in English weather - I assune they got that right) Why couldn't you simply regrade as they did and pull out the curb and re-pour a new one that slopes from sidewalk to the path surface? (And where the sidewalk and path currently match, nothing needs to be done. Integrating this with wheelchair ramps at intersections shouldn't be too hard. I'm no civil engineer. This is a few minutes of thought. I expect someone for whom this is his life to do better.