Old 06-02-23, 01:11 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3675 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Of course not. Tubeless car and motorcycle tires are mature technology. And you don't get a choice about it anyway. I was leasing a Passat around 20 years ago and got a flat. Changed it for the spare 'thing' and finished the trip. The dealer was very upset that I didn't call for roadside assistance. As if ... Automotive tubeless tires are not user serviceable. You need hydraulic tools to break the bead. Hydraulic tools to set the plugs. A significant jack to raise the car. Their service vehicle wasn't going to repair my tire they were going to do just what I did. It would take them 10 minutes while it took me 20 but I was going to have to wait 90 minutes for them to get to me.

Motorcycles adopted tubeless technology because the speeds involved and the danger of blowouts at those speeds made it a wise development. Sealant is not used in motorcycle tubeless tires. They are highly self sealing by construction, they are highly flat resistant by construction. When, if, they fail, trained professionals need to take over. As God intended. But it ended the era of DIY roadside flat repairs. Now motorcyclists need AAA on speed dial just like cagers. More so. Most streetbikes cannot carry doughnuts! Neither can bicycles. Sadly, the lower forces involved in bicycle tubeless bead breaking and plug insertion and etc. are just enough within reach that adopters are willing to risk heading out with tubeless unsupported.
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I wouldn't know the exactratio of success to failure but for the kind of riding I do Mon -Fri, failure is not an option.

At any speed above 12mph air resistance is the totality of what is keeping a cyclist from going any faster. It is a close top speed contest between a speedskater on ice in full tuck, and a road cyclist on level ground in full tuck, but in neither case does it get much faster than ~30mph+ for a trained competition level athlete. Put that same athlete behind a motorpaced wind shield and they are going to hit well over 120mph. So, tubed vs tubeless re: rolling resistance? <chortle> Pinch flats? I don't run tubeless and I've never pinch flatted ever, in decades of daily riding. Comfort? Seriously? When you are hammering for the Strava KOM is comfort really a thing? How 'comfortable' exactly does anyone expect to be on a bicycle?

Bontrager H2 2.0" didn't flat for me until their 5th year of 7d/wk urban riding. In the same riding Kenda Kwest flat 2x/dy! Schwalbe Big Apple, weekly. Schwalbe Big Apple with Mr. Tuffy Liner, bi-monthly (from the liner chafing the tube) Schwalbe Marathon, roughly quarterly. I have some Bontrager H2 Hardcase in 700c x 25 and to some they are garden hose, but you know what? If you beat me with your amazing tubeless set up it won't be because of that. It will be because you are 30y.o. and I am 65. But my tire is NOT going to flat. I mean that. I don't even carry tire levers when I am rocking the Bonties. So your tubeless rig better not even lose 10psi of pressure on challenge day because if it does, it's going to be real close. And if it loses all pressure and you have to go plug it, or put in a tube, or whatever other ju ju
y'all's have to do when spit happens, it's all over.

When people race cyclocross or ride gravel they don't worry about steel belt tire wires getting into their tires. Tubeless were originally MTB kit. Makes more sense there. Little or no glass. Less man made junk. Still, if the tires are puncturing and sealant is needed to prevent air loss, then the tire has failed. I just don't feel like gambling that the light, supple, amazing gravel ride tubeless will have a good day today and not let me down. I'd rather use a heavier, slower, tire and have peace of mind. When such tires are made in tubeless format, call me. I might answer.
There you have it....