Old 10-27-20, 09:31 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jfoobar
Thanks. Do you double up on the mid-fork eyelet? If so, any issues doing that?

I am not too picky about aesthetics, but I have had to not consider much of what Velo sells because it isn't available in black. I don't want anything silver on my bike if I can avoid it. For example, I think I would be very interested in this if they sold it in black:

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...tainless-steel

I may just get over it anyway and get that one because I know I could use the eyelets above the mid-fork eyelets to mount it and wouldn't have to worry about doubling up if I coupled it with something like the Tubus Tara.
On my Pass Hunter rack, on the end of the rearmost stay there is a welded on threaded rod that goes through the centre fork eyelet.
This was the stay I had to get repositioned due to my forks being suspension corrected.
The threaded rod is long enough to pass through both side of the fork centre, whilst my front fender/mudguard daruma bolt has a hole in it, allowing the aforementioned threaded rod to pass through it, allowing the daruma bolt to hang down within the fork, for attaching the fender.
Struggling to coherently articulate this without pics but its easy enough once you see what the daruma bolt is and then understand that its held within the fork, hanging downward via the threaded rod, which is at the end of the rearmost stay of the rack.
Following the link (Installing Berthoud Fenders on the Surly Disc Trucker), and looking at the second pic down, there is a pile of bits and bobs for fender attachment. The daruma bolt is roughly in the centre of the pic and has a nut at one end, a black plastic spacer in the middle and a hole at the other end.
The hole is what the threaded rod of the rack (rearmost stay) goes through inside the interior of middle tube of the forks through the centre hole.
Does that make any sense or answer the correct question?

My fenders/mudguards are not currently installed as I removed them for some air travel and haven't gotten around to re-installing them yet.
Otherwise I'd consider organising some pics for you.
As I said all my build pics were deleted when photo bucket did their "thing" and I was unaware of where else they might have been hosted at the time.
A shame as it spoilt a lot of my various forum posts I contributed, many of which were designed to assist others following a similar path installing similar accessories to my build.

Sorry I just spotted that the rack you've linked to differs to mine in that my Pass Hunter attached to brake bosses of which the early Ogre had as well as disk brake attachments to offer choice.
The centre "stay" was different too as it had a welded threaded rod at the rear.
I left a link to it in an above post. https://www.velotransit.com/products...ter-front-rack

Last edited by rifraf; 10-27-20 at 09:48 PM. Reason: added info