View Single Post
Old 07-31-21, 12:08 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by cobolman
I've been riding year round for the past seven years and have loved it although I've taken a few falls. Two years ago I separated my clavicle but got back on the bike after a number of weeks recovery in a sling. Eight weeks ago I took another fall. I was going about 5 MPH on pavement that I had ridden hundreds of times before. I don't know what happened but the bike went down. The short story is that I broke my hip. Surgery was followed by rehab. A number of doctors said that I was in good shape for my age (74) and that my riding had contributed to my getting out of rehab early. As you can imagine recovery has been slow. I graduated from a walker to a cane to now using hiking poles when out on the street. There is a certain amount of pain but it's not unbearable . The fatigue is harder to take. A friend who has had both hips replaced says that this is normal. Much needed sleep comes and goes. We have a hospital bed in the living room. I can dress my self with tools geared to those who have broken a hip. I can empty most of the dishwasher and can climb stairs. I'm giving up the bike, I have a fear of falling again and just can't imagine going through this once more. There are worse situtations that I could be in but I'm done riding. I'm going to miss it but can't shake the fear of falling again. The physical therapist put me on stationary exercise bike a few weeks ago and I was very comfortable with it. It was like I was home. We'll be getting one in the future. Forty years ago I fell off of a horse and never rode again. Forty plus years ago I owned a motorcycle and had a few falls and one accident involving a car. I continued to ride until my children were born. I never looked back
You are about 10 years more mature than I but I've had some broken bones and surgeries in the past couple of years and have another one to face. Don't quit.

I've had to give up riding uprights for recumbents and it isn't horrible. I would encourage you to look into tadpole trikes or even quads. Build yourself back up, don't pack it in. Zwift and other online riding is also an option.

Surprisingly to me, cyclists often have osteoporosis and the mortality of a fractured hip is not a happy statistic. Over a two year period, I reversed my osteoporosis by hiking with a backpack. A DEXA scan of the hip is cheap.....sorry for the thread drift.