Thread: Packing it in
View Single Post
Old 07-31-21, 10:58 PM
cobolman

Bikes: 2014 Bianchi Volpe and 15 Yr Old Schwinn Mountain Bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for all of your kind words. Thanks also for the trike and recumbent suggestions. At this point I’m only planning on getting an upright stationary bike. I am very impressed with those who told me of their own broken hips and their return to biking, I’ll miss the riding but feel that peace of mind is more important. Had I gone down at the bottom of hill going 30 MPH I might have considered getting back on the bike but to fall and break my hip while going 5 MPH has left me with a fear that it could happen again at any moment at any speed. I want to share a few nice moments that happened the day I fell. The accident happened close to the center of Salem Oregon where I live. Salem is a small city or a big town. After I fell, I tried to move my leg and realized that something was wrong. Almost immediately two woman came over and asked if I was OK. I politely said “No”. They asked if they should call an ambulance and I said “Yes”. I had my cell phone in my jacket and asked them to press the number for my wife. They did so and took my helmet and glasses off of me. I spoke to my wife and since we live a little over a mile away from where I fell she was there fairly soon. The ambulance and the fire truck was stationed a few blocks away and so they arrived very quickly also. This could have happened 10 miles north of town out in the country where I took my longer Sunday rides. They put me in the ambulance and my wife spoke to the head fireman and told him that she would follow to the hospital as soon as she put my bike in our car. He said “Don’t worry about that. My men with take care of it”. Then two young firemen picked up the bike and put it in the car for her. In case anyone is interested, my steel 2014 Bianchi Volpe seems to be fine as best as I can tell. I obviously have not taken it for a ride. It’s not the first time that it has gone down. It will make somebody a nice bike. I’m going to include lights, saddlebag and Garmin 200 Edge computer. Thanks again.
Likes For cobolman: