Old 01-07-22, 12:43 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
What's the stranded rope like resistance wire you are using and where can one get some?
The heating rope is 3 mm carbon fiber, that I got from https://www.carbonheater.us/ . The minimum order size / cost definitely makes it more expensive that a premade heating pad.

The rope is made up of 12 smaller ropes, for my heat pads I used 2 parallel circuits with 4 of the smaller ropes instead of the full rope. The full rope has a resistance of about 21 ohms per meter, the individual strands about 228 ohms. The full rope uses more power than I need in a particular application. Its a bit tricky tuning the heat output, in theory the rope and strands will achieve the same temperature at a given length. But with less strands you can pull heat out fast enough it never reaches that temperature. I've started calculating the estimated wattage to give me a rough idea of how warm a particular design might get at a particular voltage as I have 5V, 7.4V and 9V batteries that I can use to power them.

I recently started using 9V with a USB C PD power banks and a USB PD decoy. More consistent heat output than 7.4V batteries which start around 8.4V and drop over time causing the heat output to drop. USB delivers a constant voltage.