View Single Post
Old 01-09-06, 05:31 PM
smilin buddha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eofelis
I wonder about the house-buying thing....

I've heard the house called "the ultimate possession"

My parents never owned a house. They rented a very small house in a rural area when I was growing up. I had miles of woods and fields to roam in, and my parents didn't seem unhappy that they didn't own the house. After my dad passed away, my mom wanted to move closer to town. She gave 30 days notice and moved out (I had moved out before then). So it never really occured to me that you had to own a house.

My BF & I live in a 1 br apt over a 4 car garage. It's pretty nice, not too expensive, close to places we need to go. Sometimes it would be nice to have a house with more room for the 9 bikes. But then we'd have to spend weekends working on the house and yard instead of hiking and biking. If something breaks in the apt, we call the landlord. He's pretty good about getting things fixed right away.

A good book I like is Work Less & Play More by Steve Catlin.
Thanks for the tip. I ordered the book. And since I work at the library I am not purchasing it. I am sure for some the house is a good idea, but it is limiting now. ANd than with the bigger house came more crap. Than I have a few dogs and that adds more space constraints and also limitations. I would have so much more money and time with a smaller house, but I have to work with what I have now and see how simple I can live with what I got. I know if there is another hurricane season like the last one. I will be leaving the sunshine state. I hate to live weeks without power and the other troubles.