View Single Post
Old 01-10-06, 11:52 AM
smilin buddha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=jamesdenver]i bought a townhouse about 2 years ago and it was well worth it. i've done some heavy cosmetic improvements and have learned some interesting crafts like flooring, tiling, installing a toilet (ugh). and i'm planning on building some built in cabinets and bookcases. the money spent on a house is similar to putting money in a savings account or 401k, it does return a benefit, and i don't think being simple equates living paycheck to paycheck, in fact the opposite - people that are simple CAN make and save much more money tucked away, allowing them to sustain their simple lifestyle well into their future.
"Feel like doing tile in the sunshine state. I have 1000 sq ft to do,"

Also if you are going to buy a hosue or already have one check with the local governemnt. My niece got a no interest loan from the local government to fix up the house. If she stays so many years the money is free and if she leaves early the total amount is reduced by the number of years
. In the same city my friend went through some budget courses with the city and they helped him with both the interest rate and also a down payment. I am not trying to say that a house is a bad thing but it is debt. The rise in property prices where I live is incredible. My house has doubled in a few years, but i see trouble ahead. When all of these loans with intrest only come due there will be more houses available and more people worse off. If I had my choice I would sell the house make a profit and rent till the whole real estate market in Florida shakes out. There are people paying inflated prices for houses way over the value of the hosue. If they tried to sell they would be in the hole. So they will be upside down in a house payment. Alot worse than if they were just upside down in a car payment. The real truth is the purchase of a house adds to the clutter in your life. Lawn mowers tools and such that you would have no or little use for if you just rented.
I am thankful that this whole discussion came up. I have learned alot and have much more to learn.