Old 01-10-06, 12:42 PM
jamesdenver
jim anchower

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by schiavonec
man is rich in proportion to things he can AFFORD to leave alone.

This may be an assumption on my part, but I am curious as to how many of the respondees are:
- not in profession careers where appearance matters (this isn't a dig, but some folks have to wear suits 5 days a week - thankfully not me);
- married
- with children (a whole host of 'crap' comes along with the lil ones);
- business owners;
- pet owners (larger than 10lbs);
- caring for parents or elderly family members;
- property owners
- business travelers (not always a bus available when you need a 4:30 am red eye flight)
- coaches for traveling sports
- dependent on medical devices for basic health maintenance

None of these are digs by any means though, just aspects that make simple living not so simple. Overall, it may be easiest to live simply when young (18-28 and single, or older (65+ and single). I applaud anyone that can live simply and raise a family: it is a cummulative triumph for them.

interesting list, all of them are things that require time, (except for coaching, i don't see that as any more than a few months commitment)

here's mine:

- married - partnered, own home and live together, same thing,

- with children - neither of use are interested. i fully support couples who choose not to have kids for whatever reason, and think it should be more respected - rather than assuming something is wrong with them for not wanting children. although i babysit a friends 6 year old, which is a lot of fun.

- business owners- nope, in fact we both joke about quitting our jobs with benefits and opening a small deli or video store in our neighborhood, and then having to work 15 hour days, no vacations, dealing with employee, and all the good and bad that would come with it, and i'd be in the back room over a calculater with bills in both hands --

- pet owners - nope

- caring for parents or elderly family members - not yet. another good thing to having a corp job rather than own business is that if needed i will be able to take time to travel and care should i have too. it's not something i look forward too, but it will be my first priority in life should it arise.

- property owners -- yes

- business travelers - rarely, which makes the occasional trip a nice change of pace

- coaches for traveling sports - no, but i'm taking spanish lessons.

- dependent on medical devices for basic health maintenance - yes. i'm type 1 diabetic so use insulin, test strips, test machines and syringes. it's not bad, and an easy part of my life (like getting dressed) i'm in perfect health, but this is something i always need to monitor. i have good insurance, and my co-pays are reasonable. but taking a month off to travel requires this consideration, and should i scale back in 7 years to travel more i may take a p/t job (starbucks) a few days a week for the benefits. the difference in medications and access to new techy diabetic gear between a fully insurance person like myself versus a guy going into a free clinic is night and day. i hope this changes someday in our country, but until it does health insurance benefits will be a consideration no matter what i do.