View Single Post
Old 08-13-21, 11:52 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by folder fanatic
Rain is one of the few times I avoid using bikes around here. It is not the bike itself I am worried about, it is the drivers that are not used to driving cars in the rain. This can be a very dangerous time to be on a bike.
Oft repeated and completely false rhetoric. The drivers around you have driven in everything you have at least 20 times or more. The exceptions wouldn't fill the visitors bleachers at Providence Park Stadium (MLS). If the drivers in your town are bad in the rain, they are bad when it's dry as well. That's just drivers being drivers. Aren't you a driver? Another truth about drivers is they all think they are the only driver in town with skillz. You don't like riding in the rain, fine. Own it. Why are you throwing shade on your cager colleagues? So few cyclists ride in the rain that I really must wonder out loud how they would know that it is any more dangerous than any other time! Let's see some stats. Put some numbers on it. My educated guess is that, yes, VEHICLE/VEHICLE collisions increase in frequency and severity in inclement weather, but vehicle/bicycle collisions drop to almost zero in inclement weather. And not for the obvious reason either. The main reason is that cyclists that are out in bad weather are paying more attention and riding more carefully than when the weather is better.
Likes For Leisesturm: