Old 01-14-22, 12:32 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I know Mac Liman and she isn’t not a “ shallow, stoopid, self empower[ed]” person. She has spent her life working at nonprofits serving marginalized communities. The co-op she works at is as bare bones as you can get. We…as I am a long term volunteer there…fix and give away hundreds of bikes per year to people in need. The bikes are refurbished by volunteers and given to adults and children free of charge. We do have a retail side where the higher end donations are refurbished and sold to keep the doors open but even those bikes are generally underpriced for what they are.

We do get hundreds of bikes in donations per year and we have to throw out (recycle, actually), hundreds because they just aren’t safe to fix. The only way to make a modern Big Box store bike safe is to replace everything including the frame. We won’t give away a bike that is a danger to the rider and there is simply no way to make these kinds of bikes safe.

Finally, we also run an open shop where we help people keep their bikes running. We do not exclude anyone, provide used parts at reasonable prices (or for free if people can’t afford them), and will work on anything that rolls through the door. I’ve spent lots of hours working on these horrible bikes because that’s all the person has. I try to make them better and more durable than they came into the shop.

Nice smokescreen over N2deep. You didn't address his concerns at all. Instead a rant about how great your co-op efforts are. I agree with N2deep. We raise our kids and can't always afford the higher priced bikes and have to settle for a cheap model maybe even from Walmart (gasp!)

We get cheaper bikes from other stores besides Walmart all the time in our shop with problems/failures worse than the ones you are touting. It isn't fair to point the finger at just Walmart............. (We also get bikes in from co-op repairs that have to be re-done.)

We use a constructive approach when getting in the cheap bikes needing work. Often we are able to upgrade the owner to a new bike with much better reliability. Results in a sale and a satisfied repeat customer. A win win situation.

Last edited by frogman; 01-14-22 at 12:35 AM.
Likes For frogman: