Old 09-28-22, 07:35 PM
Cramic

Bikes: Giant TCR Pro Disk 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Snot rockets - how much responsibility should I share?

I get this might be a contentious issue and I’m happy to be trashed for my behaviour, but hope that at least the practice of blowing your nose into the wind on the bike is accepted behaviour. I understand it’s not the most pleasant thing, but is often necessary and seems to be fairly common practice. There’s even a Canadian website that discusses how to do it and, my impression at least, is that Canadians are generally very polite!

Anyway, I was cycling solo on a fast section of bike path doing perhaps 32kmh. It wasn’t busy and I hadn't passed anybody recently.

And I needed to blow my nose. I glanced over my right shoulder, not really expecting to see anybody, and then blew my right and then my left. (Bear in mind I’m in Australia so cycle on the left, hence glanced over my right shoulder.)

Now it turns out some guy had decided to sit on my rear wheel. He hadn’t announced himself and I didn’t know he was there. When I glanced I don’t know if I missed him because he was so close, I didn’t turn my head far enough, or perhaps he was at my 7.

He comes alongside me a bit pissed off. Told me “that was disgusting and unnecessary” and then went ahead. We were at a similar speed, but I stayed about 20m back as I don’t like to draft people I don’t know. He was a very courteous rider thereafter. I was the only guy behind him and he did all the usual hand signs warning of dangers and his actions.

Anyway, who was in the wrong? Me? Him? Both is us?

I don’t like guys who draft strangers without letting them know. I think it’s rude and unsafe, and kind of think if you do it then the risk of a snot rocket is one you’re choosing to take.

Also, say if I had seen him, what am I to do? Have to alter my ride (slowing, making him pass) because of his actions? Hold on until he’s gone, but we actually ended up going the same way for about 5km?

Don’t know! I could probably have checked more, but my head doesn’t turn 180 and I’d rather not take my eyes off the road ahead when going quickly to check somebody hasn’t positioned themselves an inch off my rear wheel without warning. Also I think it’s a risk he’s taken upon himself.

Would be very interested to hear thoughts though. For my part I did actually feel bad and will be trying to check more thoroughly. Drafting unannounced is annoying, but doesn’t deserve to get you covered in my bogeys!