CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Albion
Hah! The Great Sheldon Brown had something to say about Perfect freewheels which may explain everything:

". . . some Perfect and Pro Compe bodies, have an even number of ratchet teeth and two pawls directly opposite one another. As you turn the freewheel slowly backwards, you can hear it go ttick-ttick-ttick as the two pawls engage at (nearly) the same time. Unless the freewheel's bearings are adjusted just short of binding, chain pull rocks the outer body one way, then the other as the wheel turns, making a light clunk-clunk noise."

So I am going to rebuild my as-fitted Perfect WG 14/30, try out another Perfect VIA which I discovered in the barn, and experimentally try this one with all its intriguing ramps and twists:

Shimano Tourney/TY MF-TZ500 6-Speed Multiple Freewheel, 14-28 Tooth
I had the same clicking problem with a couple of SunTour freewheels and eventually deduced (without taking them apart) that they were rocking on the pawls. Funny to see that Sheldon and I were thinking along the same lines. Mine evenually quieted down and are still in service.

Also should mention that I have one SunTour Winner Pro where the previous owner had removed all the cogs and very carefully held each tooth to a bench grinder to produce a twist-tooth profile on each tooth. That one shifts great.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Likes For CroMo Mike: