Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 1,656 Posts
Frame Upgrade

Hey all,

I'm interested in upgrading my track frame and wondering if you all think it will be worth it, and if it can be done for ~$500 USD or less. I ride a Dolan Precursa with Omniums and some unbranded alloy high-spoke tubulars laced to Dura Ace hubs. A pretty simple rig.

About me:
I have been a road racer for a bit over 10 years, track for about half of that. By track, I mean weekly ATRA Tuesday night series (TNR), Men's "A" the last couple years. I can score points and make a mark on a race, but no way I'm winning many of those with the talent here. But I have fun.

I've been particularly dedicated with training and racing on the road this year, and just earned my last remaining category 2 upgrade points. I'm ready to switch to weekly track racing, training only if I want to and otherwise coasting for a few months. Long term, I see myself focusing on Master's criterium racing, USAC track racing or even XC MTB. I'm engaged, and with marriage and children on the radar, I see my available time for this going down for a while fairly soon. I'm 32.

My participation in track this year has been limited to Thursday night Madison training sessions and some volunteering. I'm looking forward to starting TNR in a couple weeks; I'm faster than usual. So some of this is me just wanted to treat myself to something nice .

What I want:
Something that is faster, cooler or just more fun to ride. Just more enjoyment. I recently purchased some lightweight 50 mm carbon tubulars from a friend at the recent SDVA veloswap, and ordered some aero road bars for it as well (Bonty Aluminum VR-CF aero). It's really only a hop, skip and jump away from a whole new rig at this point. The Dolan works (cannot be faulted for that), but just doesn't bring me any joy, in a Marie Kondo sorta way.

I was close to winning a bid on a used Stradelli last week but got sniped. I know that these are branded, open mold frames that are available from Alibaba under a multitude of different trade names (Dengfu, Tideace). Are those reliable frames? I'm worried about the non-round seatpost and other potential QC issues.

I'm not tied to carbon, and would purchase a Fifty-One Point Racing custom if money was no object. I'm tempted by the Bianchi Super Pista frames, but wondering if it would be a big enough difference, performance wise and enjoyment wise.

Thanks,
Tmonk

Last edited by TMonk; 05-12-19 at 12:15 PM.