Thread: Car racks?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-21, 12:17 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
If you can get a 1UP, that is the one that can certainly handle your bike. Another choice, though I have never used it, is the Thule EasyFold XT2. What is nice about this rack is the built in ramp to roll your bike on. Lifting the bike can be a bit of a pain. Plus it is built for e-bikes. Then of course the fold is helpful if you are taking the rack off and on your vehicle. Availability of this rack is going to be your biggest problem.

Make sure you get a 2" receiver to future proof how much load you can put on a rack plus your bike isn't a light weight.

Purchasing a platform rack with trailer hitch was the best decision I ever made for transporting a bike. Congratulations on your new ride and your foray back into the cycling world.
I do not personally use a rack, but carry the bikes inside the vehicle. All our riding companions, except 1, use the platform (or tray?) racks. Watching them pack out has me considering a platform rack for short hops to a major trail, rather than a hanging (or as the tray users call danglers) rack simply as it is much less fussing to ensure the bikes stay put and limit wheel spin. One has a platform rack that can fold back, even with the bikes mounted to access the rear hatch. IT has a small folding leg that supports it when folded back.

Make sure you get a hitch lock so the rack does not 'disappear' while you are riding.