View Single Post
Old 07-18-21, 07:00 PM
gurana
Tête de Limace

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City; ~1987 Peugeot US Express; ~1985 Panasonic Sport 500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've been thinking about trying this out solo for a year or so now, but I'd be coming up from DC. I've got a few questions for you if you happen to see this.
  • I think I would probably start off doing an overnighter or two to get used to packing. I may at some point do multi-day trips, but might mix in some hotel stops along the way and as a way to break things up. Did you plan ahead where you'd be staying, or did you just find places in towns along the way?
  • I've done 50+ mile rides up and down the C&O. Usually I carry the water I will need but sometimes I refill at the well pumps. I'm usually ok with this, but sometimes the water is a little brown. I'm not a seasoned enough outdoors-man to know if that's ok or not. You have any thoughts on this? Was considering purchasing a water filter and just pull from the Potomac when possible to hedge my bets
  • Any tips you might care to share about the amtrak ride with your bikes and gear that might not be apparent from their website? While I've not really considered doing the whole length of the GAP and C&O, if I did I think at least the first time I might take the train either as a return back to DC or start off in pittsburgh.
Even if you don't get back on this, I'd like to add to the praise of this post. Informative and entertaining. What more can you ask for in such a forum?