Old 05-31-19, 09:25 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by sovende
So I've been a "member" of this forum for nearly 2 years but haven't been much of a contributor. I'm hoping for that to change. I have a small stable of bikes in various states of assembly. Most were garage sale pickups or recoveries from dumpsters but some are actual legitimate bike shop purchases and a few (three) were actually "NEW". The most recent of the "new" bikes was bought in 1998 (gosh, that's more that 20 years ago)! My question, as the title states, is just what qualifies a bike for C & V status? I have the feeling that most if not all of my bike fall into that grouping but would just like to know what the standards of this forum are to prevent threads being moved. I gotsta know!
Sovende
Thats how I got into it too, sort of. I find that every bike is a learning experience (even if a PoS that you end up passing on just to get it out of your sight ), as are all of the questions/searches you’ll ask here, as this community has a ridiculous amount of knowledge.

Like many here, Ive had bikes from this decade, and bikes nearly a half century old, and I think for where we are now, the advent of the “brifter” is a good line of demarcation. I think .
BUT something with integrated shifting yet made in what most would consider the classic/vintage way, (say, lugged steel or Ti, straight top tube standard geometry) like a Lemond road bike, from around the 1998 timeframe you mentioned, would also be C&V, IMHO