Thread: Biking pants
View Single Post
Old 03-28-22, 04:05 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I often wear some athletic pants over bike shorts. The best ones fit reasonably close to tight, you do not want a lot of flapping in the wind. If the right side fits tight enough near the ankle that you do not need a strap to keep it out of the chain, that is great. The ones I have and frequently use for riding around near home, I bought over a decade ago, I doubt they are still sold.

I bought some bike touring pants that had zip off legs about eight years ago, they work great, but their price skyrocketed and I would not buy them today, so I would not recommend them at the current price. The ones I have, I only use them for bike touring, I do not want to waste them on riding near home, instead I save them for what I bought them for.

I bring regular camping pants (convertible with zip off legs) for wearing in the campsite or in town sight seeing.

There have been a lot of colder days where I put on my rain pants, not for rain but just because they are one more layer for warmth.

If you get out to the Rockies and you want something warmer, buy some long underwear at that time. Or, bring some bike leg warmers that go from just above the bottoms of your shorts to your ankles.

If you have a leather saddle, the leather dyes can get in your bike pants or shorts, that is why historically (decades ago) everybody wore black bike shorts. And black is still common, although not as uniform as it was. But if your saddle is not leather, then that is not a factor.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: