Old 10-28-22, 10:18 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Loaded question. If they both had the same number of gears and ranges it might be a toss-up but the extra 8 lbs on the steel is a consideration for climbing. The steel bike rides beautifully on the flats and descends really well, feeling super stable so it is a winner there.. If I were to ride flat or gently rolling terrain the steel bike would win every time. Since I have climbed almost 200,00’ this year, the “plastic” bike is the sure winner. Different tools for different jobs.

I don’t get the bias on steel versus, whatever is not steel. I have seen it argued endlessly and really don’t see the point. If a bike rides well, climbs well and does what is asked of it in an efficient way, to me, that should be enough. This silliness reminds me of people who say, I am only a Ford man, or I am only a Chevy man, or I would never buy Japanese…. Time to give it a rest, unless you meant it tongue in cheek.

The plastic bike would interest me more, as I said in another post. Vintage roadies kill my neck, and drops...., can't stand drop bars. That combination on the several vintage bikes I have had over the years makes them only flips for me, like that Schwinn I posted above.

I have no problem with carbon, but I never pay much for this stuff. Just me.

I would really like to pry this bike away from this guy....but I think it's geometry wouldn't work for me. Great bike though.

Last edited by StarBiker; 10-28-22 at 10:26 PM.