View Single Post
Old 03-31-23, 02:16 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,737 Times in 890 Posts
Originally Posted by bike_tom
I decided to do the Arlington, Cambridge, Watertown, Somerville, Belmont tour today. This was basically a series of out-and-backs on the spokes of a wheel, with Alewife at the hub.

Heading east on the MM at Lake St, I dutifully waited for the green:

Up and over the railroad tracks to get to Fresh Pond:

That's a very reassuring curb and guardrail!
Cambridge has made some rumblings about creating a bike path along the New St tracks behind the Fresh Pond mall that would make this route unnecessary, but I'm not holding my breath.

This sign on the Watertown Cambridge Greenway has always puzzled me:

Do they really want pedestrians and bikes going in the same direction to be on opposite sides? What do I do as a biker when I encounter a pedestrian coming at me on my side? Do I keep to my right and expect them to move to theirs? Am I missing something?

After returning to Alewife I headed to Somerville via the Cambridge Linear Park. Caught sight of the Amtrak Downeaster from the Lowell St overlook:

The Community Path extension along side the Green Line is still blocked off, so that was my turnaround for this spoke,

The "found" art along the Somerville Community Path is always entertaining:

Next spoke of the wheel took me to Brighton St Belmont:

Finally, the last spoke took me back home to Arlington via Spy Pond:

The whole journey was a bit over 17 miles, without ever being more than about 4 miles from home.

It was chilly, but the birds were chirping, so hopefully real Spring weather isn't too far away.

Tom
Dandy route design!

rod
Likes For rholland1951: