Old 03-29-09, 06:39 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spokenword
...Also, as an additional caveat to folks contemplating taking the train to Springfield and riding to Westfield, avoid Rt. 20. That road is a nasty piece of work (and this coming from a guy who commutes into Post Office Square on a daily basis), it adds a few miles to the journey, but it's much easier to just detour south via 147, Springfield St. and 57, then come into Westfield through N. Longyard and Shaker Rd.
Thanks for the info. The boxed bike is not ideal but I'll consider it- it would be fabulous if it were as easy as the MBTA commuter trains or the Harlem Line I take into NYC from upstate NY.

Regarding that stretch of Rt. 20 I will absolutely second that emotion. I've ridden cross state on Route 20 a few times and always regretted the decision- horrible in some sections. Funny, if the train were more bike friendly and/or Rt. 20 were more accommodating getting back and forth across the state by bike would be so much easier.

Anyone get any good rides in this weekend? I managed to get a few in on Saturday- nothing today in the rain. But Saturday was good- did the Harvard Loop, missed a turn on the way back that would have added about 12 miles so ended up shy of the 100 I had hoped to do- 92 miles- and I only managed that by doing an extra loop around the Concord TT course.

I still feel slow as molasses but I'm at least getting some miles in finally.